Making and implementing policy at any governmental level is a difficult task. Policy-makers and specialists must rely on readily available public information sources that rely on historic, rather than current data. Moreover, they lack the resources and methodology to be able to access current data and take the views of the citizens into consideration when forming policies. Sense4us project will cover this need for tools and techniques and will create a toolkit that will support information gathering, analyzing and policy modelling in real time. The package of utilities will be based on cutting-edge research.
The ultimate objective of the Sense4us project is to take recent advances in policy modelling and simulation, data analytics and social network discussion dynamics. Sense4us will further develop them into integrated tools which will make public service and policy provision faster and more effective. This way, the project will provide both economic and social benefits at local, national and supra-national levels across Europe.
A selection of the functionalities that will be provided by the tools that will be developed in the project:
- Find and select available information relevant to the policy under development
- Link and homogenise the data to make it accessible and useful
- Model the policy against its objectives and intended impact
- Validate the policy against existing legislation
- Discover and take account of the views and opinions of non-governmental groups and the general public
- Predict and test economic outcomes to ensure beneficial results
- Model and predict the likely social impact of policy
- Build a record of the policy development process in order to justify decisions made
- Provide multiple policy options to be modelled, improving the negotiation process between key stakeholders